Like It

Monday, May 31, 2010

CAO America Landmark & Two IPA’s

The Cigar
Wrapper: Connecticut Maduro & Conn. Shade Leaf
Filler: 100% ligero tobaccos from Dominica, Nicaragua, Italy, and America
Size: 6 x 60

This stick sports a pin stripe look made from two different wrappers. While this does look nice I have always had these pin striped looking cigars come unraveled during the smoking experience. The flavor seems to have a solid woody and earthy quality but, to me it comes across uninteresting. It has a dryness to the mouthfeel that continues that uninteresting quality. I read it should be paired with a ‘bold microbrew’ so, let’s do it here. No real loss if the IPA’s kill the flavor of this cigar.

The Beers – Arcadia’s India Pale Ale and HopMouth Double IPA


India Pale Ale
Let me set the record straight, I am not a big fan of IPA’s. With that said, I have to admit that I do like this one. It has the right amount of citrus bite to the taste profile with a nice earthy backbone. This ale has a 5.9% abv. The carbonation is good. For an IPA fan it may not be big enough but, for an IPA wimp like me it is just fine.




HopMouth Double IPA
This ale has an 8.1% abv. A nice looking amber color to the body and the aroma is not too far from the taste. This Double IPA, of course, has that piney grapefruit tartness right up front. I do not notice any sweetness. This is not as overpowering as I thought it would be. I actually have to admit that I like this ale. One reason why that is, the grapefruit bitter quality does not overwhelm my palate. Some of those big IPAs ruin my taste buds for the day.

The Pairing
I have had a hard time finding a cigar to go with an IPA. The bitterness of the ale always gets in the way of the cigar and makes a bad experience.

This is it! I found a cigar that works with an IPA. Now, I have a purpose for this cigar. It is perfect with these two ales. That earthy, woody and slight dryness that I experience with the cigar matches up extremely well with that grapefruit citrusy taste of these IPA’s. I lit the cigar while I was drinking the Arcadia IPA and when I finished that ale I poured myself the HopMouth ale. The 6 x 60 sized cigar is a good hour and a half smoke and was perfect for enjoying these two ales. I think I’ll plan to have this pairing again.

Visit BeerPostings2 for a review of four different beers from Arcadia (dated 6-6-10)

No comments:

Post a Comment