Like It

Thursday, February 28, 2013

La Herencia Cubana Toro and poperings hommel ale: Pairing


The Cigar

La Herencia Cubana Toro
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Fillers: Jalapa, Condega, and Esteli regions of Nicaragua
Size: 6.5 x 52

I bought a box of these cigars so long ago I don’t recall when I bought them.  I have never reviewed this stick either.  I have started several times and each time something else came up and I never completed a review. 
Today, I have time and nobody to interfere (wife) with this research project of mine.  It is a Wednesday afternoon (snow day – Feb. 27) and not even a sporting event can take my attention away from this review.  So, let’s get busy.

Off the Light: mild-medium toasted grains right off the light.  The toasted grains continue as the main profile and I am thinking Beer.  This cigar would go nice with a porter, stout or ale with some hearty toasted grains.  A nice woody note appears – I’m not picking up cedar or oak at this point – it just reminds me of a hardwood. 

As I am sitting here trying think of tasting notes what this cigar smoking experience is reminding me of is ‘forest floor.’  Semi-composting leafs, dry fall leafs, fertile soil, and twigs.  This makes since with my first impressions of toasted grains (dry fall leafs) and a nondescript hardwood (twigs, composting leafs and soil).  That works for me. 

I just read on Cigars International site that it has a bold peppery style.  So far today and on my past to review this cigar (I did write a few notes down) I have not experienced any pepper or even bold pepper.  Let’s see as the smoking experience continues. 

The pairing with the poperings hommel ale is very pleasing.  The medium body of the cigar works well with the medium-full of the ale.  The hint of lemon twist and spice in the ale is a nice contrast to the earthy style of the cigar. 

Mid-Point: this cigar holds a very solid gray ash.  I am enjoying smoking this cigar and it is making me think why I don’t smoke this stick more frequently … probably because I have too many choices in my humidor and it just gets overlooked.  The mild-medium earthy forest floor notes are hitting the spot today.  The mouthfeel is smooth.

As for the beverage pairing the earthy style of the cigar seems to bring out that little touch of lemon and floral notes.  To me this is a really nice pairing.  Medium in body; tasty flavors; does not become jammy or puckering on the palate. 

At the true halfway point a little cedar spice shows up to the dance.  With each puff the cedar spice seems to become the major profile over the earthy tones during the first half. 

The cedar spice is bringing out the pink peppercorn note of the ale. 

Damn, this is my last bottle of poperings hommel and the glass is running dry.  Oh, that last sip was so tasty. 

Down the Stretch: as the cigar enters the final third the toasted grains description seems to fit here with a moderate cedar spice and rich soil.  The smoking experience becomes more medium to medium-full here on the finish.  The toasted notes become a bit burnt and the smooth earthy style becomes fuller in body. 

To the Point: I really enjoyed this cigar.  I’ll have to smoke this a little more often for I have plenty in the humidor. 


The Ale

poperings hommel ale
Brewed & Bottled by:
NV Van Eecke
Watou, Belgium
7.5% abv
11.2oz bottle
$16.99 a four pack

Aroma: light floral hops, a twist of lemon rind, hint of fresh apple and pear, hint of sweet malts and Belgium yeast.  Nice aromatic hops – sorry hopheads not bitter hops. 

Flavors: let this ale warm a little after taking it out of the fridge for the flavor pop once it hits the 50 degree mark; floral, a rosy-floral note, hint of lemon meat – just a hint, a little fruity – white fruit like, a pinch of coriander, a dash (one dash) of pink peppercorn, low sodium saltine cracker, sweet malts – sweet dough like

Mouthfeel: good Belgian carbonation, there is an oily feel from the hops, the nice fizzy and oily feel gives it a semi-creamy feel, lingering floral and that twist of lemon rind on the aftertaste

To the Point: this ale is soooo easy to drink and at 7.5% watch out for it will catch up to you.  This is one of my favorite Belgians – right up there with Piraat – I am not saying that it is like Piraat – I am saying it is one of my favorites like Piraat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment