Like It

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Diamond Crown Maximus Toro #4 and Snow Day Winter Ale: Pairing


The Ale

Snow Day Winter Ale
New Belgium Brewing
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
6.2% abv
55 IBU

On the bottle, “…dark caramel roasted Midnight Wheat braced with a serious load of Styrian Goldings, Centennial and Casade hops?”

Had this beer on tap at The Oven in Caro Michigan and enjoyed it so much I almost stayed the night in the town just so I could drink another one or two.  Looking forward to having it today while, I watch my Detroit Lions. 

Appearance: very dark brown body; hold it to the light and you’ll see some mahogany highlights; super 2 finger light tan head that has great staying power; just sheets of lacing hanging on the glass like a big old velvet curtain.

Aroma: toasted grains/malts, hint of dark fruit, touch of spice, light pine. 

Flavors: deep roasted caramel malts, profound toasted grains, and grassy bitter hops.  Not all that complex but, it sure is enjoyable. 

Mouthfeel: nice moderate bitterness from start to finish, fine fizzy carbonation, roasted notes and light-moderate bitterness linger on the aftertaste, firm body, medium-full overall,

My Strength Rating: 6.5 – the hops kick it up notch (50 IBUs); deep roasted notes

To the Point: I really enjoyed this on tap and now I wish I bought the twelve pack instead of the six pack.  I am waiting for my ‘Snow Day.’ 


The Cigar

Diamond Crown Maximus Toro #4
Wrapper: Dark Natural Ecuadorian; El Bajo Sun Grown
Fillers: can’t find anything; I’ll guess Dominican
Size: 6 x 50
I forget how much it cost but, it runs around $15.oo a stick here in Michigan with our tax gouging politicians are work for us.  Michigan did lower the cigar tax from 32% to .50 cents per stick in the month of November 2012. 

Bought a box the other month (October) and it is time to review one.  I have always enjoyed the #4 Maxiums.  I never thought of it as complex but, very enjoyable and a special treat now and then. 

Appearance: for a super-premium cigar this stick always seems to have a big vein running through it.  (see pic at bottom)  I have always enjoyed the Maximus Cigar since it came out way back when (you know you are old when you can say that) and from what I can remember it has always had a rugged leather look.  Take the band off and give to someone and they will knock the cigar.   

Flavor and Mouthfeel Profile: sweet grains and slightly nutty taste off the light; the nutty taste reminded me of pecan while it lasted.  As the smoke continued, the sweet grains and nutty note moved to the side and a rich forest floor earthy tone moved in.  Toasty leafy vegetation, wood, and rich soil are the main focus during the first third.  As it entered the second third (maybe a little sooner) I noticed a light dusty white pepper mixing in with the forest floor qualities and a mild roasted coffee.  I have always thought of this stick as a mild-medium smoke. 

On the second half of this cigar the flavors are lightly toasted grains, mild Alder wood, dry soil.  Still mild-medium in body. 

My Strength Rating: 4 – smooth and enjoyable from start to finish.

To the Point: Despite the price I still like this cigar; probably why I bought a box; quality from start to finish. 


The Pairing

This was a great pairing.  Both are on the edge of being complex; both have smoothness with the ale having robust toasted qualities and bitterness while the cigar has mild-medium toasty qualities.  The cigar refreshes the palate from the ale making for a nice contrast.  The forest floor, mild coffee, and mild dusty white pepper of the cigar comingle with the ales deep roasted grains and moderate tasty hops.  The pairing leaves a light peppery aftertaste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment