Like It

Saturday, July 31, 2010

La Flor de Cano Cigar and Hopmouth Double IPA

The Cigar

Diadema
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan, and Mexican
Size: 7.2 x 54
My Strength Rating: 5

On the previous posting I wrote about how I have a problem with the Diadema La Flor cigar. I personally do not like the strong floral note that I get from this stick. I mentioned in that posting that it might pair with an IPA. I was thinking that the citrusy and floral type hops in an IPA could control the taste of this cigar.

The Ale

Arcadia Ales HopMouth Double IPA has an 8.1% abv., a nice looking amber color to the body and the aroma is not too far from the taste. This Double IPA, of course, has that piney grapefruit tartness right up front. I do not notice any sweetness; I think the citrus-peppery profile is taking care of hiding any sweetness. This is not as overpowering as I thought it would be. I actually have to admit that I like this ale. One reason why that is, the grapefruit bitter quality does not overwhelm my palate. Some of those big IPA ruin my taste buds for the day. I think I am going to go with an 8/8.5 for my strength rating. A good full flavored and bodied IPA.

The Pairing

It works! The full flavored ale is strong enough to control this cigar. The HopMouth has a full aftertaste of pine and citrus that lingers on the palate. When I smoke the cigar that floral note, which I don’t like, is now under control due to the ales aftertaste. Let’s put it in action.

Leading the tasting experience with the cigar followed with the ale. I get that floral flavor but it is not as strong with this ale. Then, when I drink the ale after puffing on the cigar the ale washes that floral note right into the mix of citrus and pine.

Leading the tasting experience with the ale first then puff on the cigar is a different tasting experience. I get the bold rich flavors of this IPA and then when I puff on the cigar that floral note is quite as a church mouse.

See a cigar will affect a beer and a beer will have an effect on your cigar. If I was drinking this ale and then lit up this cigar for the first time I would go away thinking that the cigar was ok to pretty good. Then, the next day when I would light up another one I would be thinking that this cigar sucks.

If I have any more of these Diademas left I’ll have to pair them up with some IPA’s or just give them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment