Like It

Saturday, February 2, 2013

EP Carrillo Golosos and Penfolds BIN 128 Shiraz 2006: Pairing


The Cigar

EP Carrillo Golosos
Wrapper: Ecuador Sumatra
Fillers: Nicaraguan and Dominican
Size 6.2 x 60

Off the Light: big dose of peppery spice. Very easy draw and tons of gray smoke. As the smoking experience continues the black pepper spicy style just tantalizes the tongue on the first inch or so.   The spice is still bold but the earthy tones are starting to show.  Toasted oak campfire wood with toasted fall leafs making for a rich mouthfeel.  The texture is rough leather like and zippy on the spice note.  Full bodied – I’ll give it an 8.5/9 on my strength scale.

Mid-Point: the peppery style is still strong but not as bold as the first couple of inches.  The toasty notes are still rich. I’ll give it an 8 on my strength scale.    


Down the Stretch: The peppery style is still present and thank god it has mellowed some.  The smoking experience is still bold and rich.  Toasted oak campfire is a little stronger; the toasted leafs are a little burnt; the mouthfeel is leathery and very dry – water is needed.  


The Wine

Penfolds BIN 128 Shiraz 2006
Coonawarra
Penfolds Wines
Australia
14.5% abv
$29.90

I have not had this wine in years, it has to be eight or ten, and I am looking forward to enjoying this fine red wine.  I have always liked BIN 128 and 28 Shiraz.

Appearance: black-purple with a purple rim

Aroma: pepper mill mix spice, earthy tones, splendid floral and underneath all this is a rich dark berry note.

Flavors: nice pepper mill mix – it is like I can taste the sweet pink peppercorn, the musty white, spicy green and the citrus spicy black peppercorns; there is an enjoyable thick earthy tone of soil and oak wood; black plum skin, cherry and dark berries.  To me this is not a fruit forward wine – it is earth and spice forward. 


Mouthfeel: thick, bold, mouth-coating, jammy, spicy, lingering dark berry and spice on the aftertaste, full-medium feel

To the Point: just as I remember maybe even better. A very good to excellent bold Shiraz.  I enjoyed the first glass with my dinner – a French demi-glazed shitake mushroom Filet Mignon. 



The Pairing

I have two heavy weights doing battle here on this pairing.  You want a super bold and rich pairing … well this is it.  I have to admit that I was worried about the strong peppery style of this cigar doing battle with the Penfolds peppery notes.  But, that was not a problem and I love this peppery mix.  The rich toasted oak and toasted earthy tones of the cigar complemented the wine barrel oak notes and earth of the Shiraz.  This pairing to not for the faint of heart.  Only big boys need to apple for this bout.    

No comments:

Post a Comment