Like It

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Partagas 1845 Corona Extra and Johnnie Walker Swing: Review


The Scotch

Johnnie Walker Swing

Exceptionally Smooth Scotch Whisky

Blended Scotch Whisky
Johnnie Walker and Sons
Kilmarnock, Scotland
Johnniewalker.com
40% abv
$66 and some change

The bottle rocks back and forth - so the name Swing.  

On the box: “Created in the early part of the twentieth century by Sir Alexander Walker, world famous whisky master blender and connoisseur.  Inspired by the golden age of transatlantic travel, Sir Alexander’s creastion captures the essence of luxury travel and is a lasting tribute to the sophistication of the 30’s era.”

The day I bought this bottle I had a glass and I was not impressed.  It had a mild band-aid taste on the first few sips till the scotch opened up. 

I had a glass or two the other night and enjoyed this smooth and mellow blend.

Let’s do a review now

Appearance: rich amber

Aroma: touch of sherry, vanilla, and pear

Flavors: lightly roasted vanilla and oak, fruity – apple and pear, touch of sherry, very light smoky feel

Mouthfeel: like they say, ‘exceptionally smooth’ – slightly creamy, low warmth, touch of sherry lingers on the palate for a short time. 

To the Point: while I didn’t have a great start with this Scotch I have grown to like this smooth and mellow malted beverage.  Personally, I like this better than the Blue and Gold.  This is a good thing due to the big price difference.  I say if you want a tasty smooth and mellow Scotch that is tasty the Swing is the way to swing. 


The Cigar

Partagas 1845 Corona Extra 
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano Viso
Binder: Connecticut Habano Broadleaf
Fillers: Dominican Piloto Cubano Ligero, Nicaraguan Guardian Viso, Esteli Seco, ASP Seco
Size: 4.5 x 46
$6.99 – Smoky’s of Northville

Off the Light: moderate soil earthy tone, light-medium coffee and a nice woody style.  As the smoke continues moderate soil earthy tones, nice touch of cedar wood, moderate coffee, sweet and toasted tobacco leafs, the spice reminds me of a dusty white peppercorn with a touch of green peppercorn.  I’ll give it a 4.5 on my strength scale during the first half.  This Extra Corona seems a little more robust in style than the other sizes that I have smoked in this line up. 

I’ll have to admit that I have not smoked much from the Partagas brand in the last decade and this new 1845 is going to bring me back.  I have enjoyed the new 1845 line up and I guess I’ll have to make a visit to some of their other sticks that I have not smoked nor reviewed. 

Second Half: soil, wood, toasted tobacco leaf, and the light roasted coffee notes continue during the second half. 


The Pairing

The interplay between the beverage and the cigar is always interesting to me.  Sometimes a few puffs of the cigar and then a few sips of the beverage works and then other times a few sips of the beverage and then a few puffs of the cigar mingles well.  Well, my point here is - that this pairing works with having a few puffs of the cigar and then having a sip of this scotch is the way to go.  I get the nice earthy tones of the cigar and then the Swing refreshes the palate with its tasty vanilla, oak, light fruit, and sherry notes. 

Side Point: I think this Partagas 1845 should pair well with an IPA beer.  Look for this in the future.  


No comments:

Post a Comment