Like It

Saturday, May 19, 2012

La Aurora Puro Vintage 2003 and Meantime India Pale Ale: Pairing


The Ale


Meantime India Pale Ale
Meantime Brewing Co.
Greenwich, London, England
7.5 abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$9.99

Fuggles and Goldings hops

Appearance: deep amber with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves very little lacing

Aroma: light nose overall, touch of citrus, mostly grassy hops

Flavors: a bit of grassy hops, mild citrus meat, mineral water, light rye bread, pale malt

Mouthfeel:  mild-medium body, light grassy aftertaste, almost creamy texture, low carbonation, light dryness on the palate

My Strength Rating: 4.5/4

To the Point: a very good interpretation of a nineteenth century IPA.  I have to admit that I do like to enjoy an English IPA now and then. 


The Cigar 


La Aurora Puro Vintage 2003
Wrapper: Ecuador
Binder: Dominican
Fillers: Dominican
Size: 7.2 x 52 Salamone
I picked it up for 10 bucks a stick

The cigar wrapper looks like it should cloak a fine leather sofa.  Damn it is pretty. 

Off the Light: dry soil earthy tone and lightly toasted grains. As the smoke continues a dry cedary note develops and then a musty white pepper spice note appears. 

Mid-Point: Similar to the first third; dry soil, toasted grains, dry cedar, and a dash of white pepper spice.  The texture is dry and leather like. 

Down the Stretch: this smoke does not change a whole lot during this experience.  The flavors where pretty much the same thing.

My Strength Rating: 4/4.5 – mild-medium in style overall

To the Point: the flavors come together for a fine smoking experience.  I picked these up for 10 bucks a stick and I think I might buy some more.  This might be a good stick to pair with a fine Scotch.  I have a couple left so look for that pairing. 


The Pairing

This was the correct IPA to pair with this cigar.  I think if I paired an American style IPA with this stick it would be a bitter experience due to the mouthfeel of this cigar.   


No comments:

Post a Comment