Like It

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ave Maria Reconquista and Leelanau Brewing Petoskey Pale Ale: Pairing

The Ale

Leelanau Brewing Petoskey Pale Ale
Ale Aged in Oak Barrels
Leelanau Brewing Company
Traverse City, Michigan, USA
Brewed by: Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales
Dexter, Michigan, USA
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$18.99 a bottle
5.5% abv

The ale is aged in over-sized French oak vats with Petoskey Stones.

Opening the bottle is a treat in itself – oh the aroma just wonderful.

I have never had this ale before so, I don’t know what I am going to get into here. 

Appearance: an attractive amber-orange body with a solid two finger head that leaves some nice lacing on the glass. 

Aroma: fresh citrus orange peel, oak for sure, sweet malts swirling

Flavors: Okay, it does not make me think of a Pale Ale.  A tasty apricot note hits me first and I am not a fan of apricot but, I like this one.  A light orange peel comes through to add a tangy feel, with light spice that is reminding me of a soft coriander, earthy yeast with a nice touch of mineral water,

Mouthfeel: smooth, low-moderate carbonation, tangy citrus on the taste, soft citrus bitterness on the finish,  


The Cigar

Ave Maria Reconquista
Wrapper: Brazilian Habano Oscuro
Fillers: Esteli, Condega, and Jalapa Nicaragua
Size: 7 x 54
Vitola: Torpedo

I bought a three pack for $49.99 and they were out of the special three pack packaging (the individual boxes came inside another box) so they said they would give me 4 individual boxes for the same price.  Deal!

I have smoked two of these already and enjoyed each one.  With only two left I better start reviewing before I forget. 

Off the Light: pleasing earthy and spicy notes right off the bat.  Rich soil, woody tone that remind me of oak, and a nice peppery spice that reminds me ginger. 

Toward the end of the first third the spicy style settles down on the taste and is still noticeable on the finish though.  Along with the rich soil a robust medium-full bodied coffee style develops.  The overall flavor profile is very pleasing and makes it worth the price of admission. 


Mid-Point: I am not noticing the spice on the flavor profile; the earthy style is forest floor like with oak leading the way with some tasty toasted tobacco leafs and rich soil; the coffee note is medium roast like;

The Pairing: I introduced the ale at the beginning of the mid-point.  I have to admit I did not think this was going to work but, this ale does not have a typical Pale Ale profile.  Jolly Pumpkin does have a good handle on Belgian Style Ales and that is what you get here.  I think that is what makes it work. 

The rich soil tone of the cigar mingles well with the mineral water and earthy yeast of the Ale.  Good thing the citrus notes of the ale are soft and that helps with the comingling of the oak and coffee notes of the cigar.  If the citrus notes were stronger like a Pale Ale could have then, this would collide with the medium-full like coffee note of the cigar.  And, that is what I was planning for when I thought about pairing these two. 

Down the Stretch: more of the same from this tasty cigar.  The finish is similar to the mid-point. 

My Strength Rating: 6 – on the light side of medium-full. 

This was a tasty pairing that I would recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment