Like It

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Gurkha Grand Age Cigar and Maredsous 8 Dubbel: Review

The Cigar
Gurkha Grand Age
Wrapper: Cameroon (dark)
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan and Peruvian
Size: 7.5x54
My Strength Rating:

Interesting, the cigar that I selected from this six pack is a lot darker than the Grand Age in the other six pack.  See picture below.  This makes my point that Cigar International can sell these at a great price point because they are probably ‘Seconds.’  These cigars did not make the cut to be sold a full price because of flaws.

Off the light I get a strange bitter bite.  After a few puffs I am thinking of a strong cedar bite and earthy notes.  That little flaw in the wrapper was not an issue on the burn.  But, I did get a big crack in the wrapper just before the half-way point on the cigar. 

Once past a couple of inches that strange cedar bitter bite calmed down.  Now, I can start to think of what are the other flavors here.  There is a dry soil earthiness that is mixed with a medium roast coffee profile.  The texture seems to be dry and a little wool like.  The overall flavor is much better than when it started off.  Here at the mid-point I would say this is a medium to medium-full bodied smoke.

I made it past the spot where the wrapper  had busted open.  The wrapper did not continue to bust open.  The cigar probably got bumped in shipping and created that spot. 

The cigar is tasty as it passes the halfway point.  The coffee and earthy profile is pleasing to the palate.  The earthy notes are soil and wood like in quality.  The coffee note is still a medium roast style.

The Beer
Maredsous 8 Dubbel
Belgain Abbey Ale – Refermented in the bottle
8% abv
1pt 9.4oz bottle
$10.00 a bottle
Duvel Moortgat NV
Puurs, Belgium

Best before on the side of the bottle: 09 2010 – Just 4 months past date.
Being bottled conditioned this should not be a big factor.

Dried dark fruits on the nose with some crisp slightly toasted malts.
The body is brown in color with a beige colored head that dissipated fairly fast leaving a thin layer of foam.  Nice lacing on the glass from the head.  Just swirl the beverage in the glass and the foam is kicked back up.  Typical fine carbonation for a Belgian Ale. 

On my first glass I notice the dried fruits right off the bat.  Dark raisin and prune like.  On the bottle it says, ‘subtle hints of chocolate and toffee.’  I detect a bit of chocolate but, nothing to write home about.  But, then I am at home.  I am missing the toffee note.  The ale seems to have a pleasing earthiness as its main profile a bit mineral like in quality.  There is a slight bitterness on the aftertaste. 

I just visit beeradvocate.com and they give it an A- out of 527 reviews.  I don’t think I would be that generous.  But, maybe the freshness factor (9-2010) is playing a factor after all. 

I am thinking that I would not buy this bottle again but, then again, I’ll just have to check the freshness date on the next bottle and maybe give it one more try. 

The Pairing
I like these two together.  They seem to help each other out.  The earthy style of each work well together.  The coffee notes of the cigar seem to mingle well with the dried dark fruits of the ale making a tasty experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment